While planning a trip with American Airlines, you must have some knowledge regarding its policies. One of the most crucial policies that you must know in order to save your money from getting wasted is American Airlines cancel flights policy.
In this article, you will have the opportunity to explore the airline and its cancellation and refund policy. Along with that, you will get many other details as well.
American Flights Cancellation and Refund Policy Details
American Airlines flight cancellation policy varies depending on the types of flights booked by travelers on the booking portal such as economy, premium economy, first class, or business class. A few points are depicted below that will provide sufficient information about the flight fares.
- American Airlines does not charge a fee for cancellation.
- This airline has removed cancellation charges on non-refundable domestic, short-haul international, and select long-haul international flight tickets for the premium cabin, premium economy, and main cabin fares.
- Once you cancel your tickets within 24 hours, you are eligible for a 100% refund through the 24-hour American cancellation policy.
- In the event of such inclement weather, full refunds will be provided to US canceled flights.
- American Flights' cancellation policy does not apply to tickets purchased in groups, you are eligible to receive a full refund for sales tax levied on refundable taxes or service charges.
- Passengers get 24 hours to cancel their flights before the scheduled departure date and are eligible for a refund.
- If the flight ticket is purchased directly from the airline ticket counter, only a passenger can cancel and seek a refund online or offline.
- If the American Airlines flight is booked through a third party or an external source, the American Airlines refund policy does not apply for refunds. Connecting with a third party is recommended.
- Passengers will not get a refund on non-refundable tickets except in certain situations like death or sudden illness.
American Airlines 24-Hours American Flights Cancellation Policy
Cancel your flight tickets within 24 hours from the time you first purchased your flight ticket for a refund. However, this would be applicable if the flight gets booked at least 2 days before the scheduled departure.
American airlines tickets booked in group block are not eligible to request a refund.
How Do I Cancel My Flights on American Airlines?
Ensure to follow the American Airlines cancellation policy if you don’t want to lose your cashback or are willing to obtain a complete refund. Some of the ways to cancel American Airlines flight are given below;
1. First, you have to go to the official website of American Airlines
2. Now, tap on plan travel and a window will open.
3. Now, select the Your Trips tab.
4. On the new page, American Airlines will ask passengers to log in to the AAdvantage Account.
- Those who have to subscribe to AAdvantage can log in to the AAdvantage account by entering their username and password.
- They can now directly observe the upcoming flights and can modify them directly.
- Those who are yet to subscribe to the AAdvantage account can continue as a guest.
5. If you don’t have an AAdvantage account, tap on the Continue option to carry on as a Guest.
6. Now, enter the flight information of your existing booking
- The six-digit confirmation code was received in your email at the time of booking with American Airlines.
- The 13-digit ticket number mentioned your flight ticket or was received in your email at the time of flight booking.
- Now, enter your first and last name.
7. Then, tap on the Find Your Trip option.
8. Now, your existing flight will appear.
9. Select the Cancel flight option from the multiple choices given there.
10. Then, move ahead with the cancellation and the website of American Airlines will take you to the next page for checkout.
11. On this page, you can check your total booking amount and cancellation charges. The cancellation fee varies on the fare type.
12. Now, cancel your flight and get back a refund or travel voucher, or credit for future use.
Note: If you are traveling with your pet on American Airlines, you can also cancel a flight booked for a pet.
How to Claim a Refund for an American Cancelled Flight?
After canceling a flight, if you want to claim a refund from American Airlines, then follow the below-given points;
- Not all canceled flights are eligible for a refund. American Airlines typically only refunds flights that are canceled due to circumstances beyond the airline's control, such as bad weather or a mechanical issue. If your flight was canceled due to a reason that is within American Airlines' control, such as a strike or a scheduling change, you may not be eligible for a refund.
- You can initiate a refund request online, by phone, or in person at an American Airlines ticket counter. To initiate a refund request online, go to the American Airlines website and log into your account. Then, click on the "Refunds" tab and follow the instructions. To initiate a refund request by phone, call American Airlines customer service at 800 744 0006. To initiate a refund request in person, visit an American Airlines ticket counter.
- When you initiate a refund request, you may be asked to provide supporting documentation, such as a copy of your American boarding pass or a letter from your employer stating that you were unable to travel due to the canceled flight.
- Refunds can take up to 10 business days to be processed. Once your refund has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email from American Airlines.