Are you planning to cancel your Delta flight? If yes, then first know the details about the Delta cancellation flight policy. Canceling a flight without much preparation can cost you high. You may have to pay some additional charges to cancel the flight. Not just that, but you might not get any alternate flight. Scared? No need to be. Because in this article, you will learn things that can be very beneficial for you. For instance, some tips to save you from paying cancellation fees or claiming a refund.
Delta Airlines Cancellation and Refund Policy details
Before we proceed further, let’s take a look at the below-given points to understand the cancellation and refund policy of Delta Airlines.
- The cancellation policy is different for refundable and non-refundable tickets.
- Delta refundable main cabin tickets are also eligible for last-minute cancellations. If you have a refundable ticket, then you can easily cancel the flight even 2 hours before the scheduled departure.
- Not just that, but with the refundable ticket, you can also claim a refund from Delta Airlines even in case of a no-show. However, you might have to pay some nominal amount as a no-show charge.
- As per the 24-hour cancellation policy, Delta Airlines will not charge any cancellation fee if you cancel your flight within 24 hours of ticket purchasing irrespective of the fare type.
- If Delta cancels your original flight and you do not want to travel on the alternate flights provided to you because of the timing, you can ask for a full refund.
- Flights purchased with a debit or credit card will take up to seven business days or up to two billing cycles for your refund amount to reflect in your bank account.
- For cash-purchased flights, it will take up to 20 business days for the refund amount to reflect in your bank account.
Note: If you are facing any problem with Delta cancelled flights policy, then you can talk to the Delta cancellation customer care Phone Number at 800-847-0578.
Delta Airlines 24-Hours Cancellation Policy
To cancel a flight, it is crucial to understand the term Delta Airlines 24-Hours Cancellation Policy.
- Customers who book Delta flights directly from the airline counter or website are the only ones who are subject to the 24-hour cancellation policy.
- According to the United States Dot Advisory, Delta provides a 24-hour risk-free period.
- Depending on the fare class, you have the option to cancel your flights and get a full refund with no cancellation fees.
- However, there should be a seven or more days gap between the cancellation and the scheduled flight departure.
- SkyMiles don’t stick to Delta's Cancellation Policy of 24 Hours.
- Group bookings are also not eligible for a refund.
- Any flight rebooked or redeemed with travel credits already is not coming under this policy.
- As per the Delta cancellation flight policy, any flights bought with an e-Certificate are also not eligible.
What are the steps to cancel My Flights on Delta Airlines?
If you need to cancel your Delta flights online via the Delta website or app without contacting a Delta representative, then follow step by step procedure given below:
- Log in to your Delta Airlines account. You can do this on the Delta Airlines website or mobile app.
- Click on "My Trips." This will show you a list of all your upcoming flights.
- Find the flight you want to cancel. Click on the "Need to Cancel?" button.
- Select "Start Flight Cancellation." This will take you to a page where you can enter your reason for cancellation.
- Confirm that you want to cancel your flight. Once you have confirmed, your flight will be canceled and you will receive a refund.
How to Ask for a Refund for a Canceled Flight?
If your flight gets delayed or canceled due to some reasons that are beyond the control of the airline then you will get rebooked to an alternate flight or will receive an e-credit for a future Delta journey. However, in some exceptional cases, if you choose not to fly, then you may ask for a refund for an unused portion of your non-refundable ticket or for an unused trip purchase.
There are two simple ways that you can use to request a refund.
- If Delta Airlines has already canceled your flight, then you can request a refund by filling out the Travel Disruptions form. Once you submit this form the airline will proceed further to provide you with a refund.
- In case the airline rebooks you to a new flight or if your original (old) flight was delayed or canceled due to some reasons then you can ask for a refund by visiting the “my trip” page of Delta. Fill out the page then proceed further towards your refund.
How to Avoid Paying Delta Cancellation Fee?
Due to some reason personal reasons that are beyond your control, if you are planning to cancel your flight, but want to avoid paying any additional cancellation fee then you can take the below-given points under consideration;
- Purchase a refundable ticket: Refundable tickets are more expensive than non-refundable tickets, but they offer the flexibility to cancel your flight without penalty.
- Purchase a ticket with travel insurance: Travel insurance can cover the cost of your flight cancellation fees, as well as other travel expenses, in the event of a trip cancellation.
- Cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking: Delta offers a 24-hour risk-free cancellation policy for all tickets purchased directly from the airline. This means that you can cancel your flight for any reason and receive a full refund, no questions asked.
- Change your flight instead of canceling it: Delta does not charge change fees for Main Cabin or above tickets. If you need to change your flight, you can do so without incurring any additional costs.
- Check with Delta to see if your flight is eligible for a waiver: Delta occasionally waives cancellation fees for certain flights, such as those that are canceled due to inclement weather.