Are you planning to cancel Southwest flight, due to some urgent work but afraid about the after-effects? Or feeling dicey about the cancel and refund procedure? If yes, then do not panic because, in this article, you will get to know about the cancelation and refund policies of Southwest. So, without wasting any second thought, let’s explore the context given below;
What do the Southwest Airlines cancellation and Refund policies say?
You need to follow the below instructions to know southwest airlines' flight cancellation policy:
- If you want to cancel your Southwest flight, make sure you do it at least 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
- As per the refund policy for Southwest Airlines, if you have a Business Select or Anytime ticket and fail to cancel on time, you will receive a refund in the form of travel credit. However, if you have a Wanna Get Away or Wanna Get Away Plus ticket, you will not get a refund if you don't cancel on time.
- If you have a refundable ticket, you can cancel your flight even 10 minutes before departure and get your money back in the form of flight credit. If you used flight credits from a previous booking to pay for a Business Select or Ever fare, you'll get those credits back.
- As per the Southwest cancellations policy, if you have a non-refundable ticket but need to cancel it, you will get the travel credit. If you have a companion pass, remember that canceling your ticket will also cancel your companion's ticket.
- If you used a gift card to book your flight, it is considered a non-refundable booking. If you miss your Southwest flight and have used the gift card, you will receive a reusable flight credit. If you cancel within 24 hours of departure and wish to use the gift card, you must contact Southwest Customer Service.
- The Southwest cancellation policy states that If you paid taxes when booking your flight, those taxes are refundable and will be refunded to your original payment source. If you are traveling with an unaccompanied minor, you may receive a refund of the $50 per ticket fee upon cancellation. However, tickets for unaccompanied minors are non-refundable if the journey is not completed.
- If you have a pet trip on Southwest and need to cancel it, you can get a refund of up to $95 for the pet rental. But Earlybird check-in purchases are non-refundable. If Southwest cancels your flight, you will receive a refund of the Earlybird check-in fee.
What Does The Southwest Cancellation Policy 24 Hours Say?
Details about the Southwest 24-hour cancellation policy are given below;
- If you're uncertain about your travel plans and need to move ahead with the cancellation policy of Southwest Airlines, it's best to cancel it within 24 hours of booking. This way, you can get a full refund from the airline.
- If the airline cancels your flight or experiences a delay, you may be entitled to compensation from the airline.
Southwest 24-hour cancellation policy for different types of tickets
- Wanna Get Away Tickets: These tickets allow free cancellation within 24 hours of booking. However, following the refund policy of Southwest Airlines these fares cannot be returned or reused.
- Business Select Tickets: These tickets offer the same 24-hour free cancellation policy as Wanna Get Away tickets, but they can also be refunded or reused.
- Anytime Tickets: If you have this ticket, then you will be able to enjoy all the amenities of the wanna-get-away ticket and business select ticket.
- Wanna Get Away Plus Tickets: These tickets come with the same cancellation policy as Wanna Get Away Tickets. But per the Southwest refund policy, they can also be refunded or reused.
How to Cancel a Southwest Airlines Flight?
If due to any unavoidable situation you are planning to proceed with Southwest airline cancellations, then you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- You can access the main page or the mobile app.
- Click on the three vertical lines on the upper left-hand side.
- Again click on the “Look Up Reservations” option.
- Fill up the confirmation and your name to get all the details of the flight booked.
- Now tap on Retrieve reservation.
- You will now see your reservation details.
- Click the cancel button and review the cancellation details.
- In the case of buyers with the non-refundable fare, they can only see the option to hold for future use.
- Click the “Cancel Flight” option.
How To Contact Southwest Airlines For a Refund?
After you successfully cancel flight on Southwest Airlines, you can ask for a refund from the airline by following the below-given methods;
Mail your refund request to
Southwest Airlines Refunds Departments
P.O Box- 36649
Dallas, Texas (75235-1649)
Customer Care Number
You can also opt to call on the customer care number of the airline for canceled flights.
Note: If you want to request a refund from Southwest Airlines, you must attach the unused ticket to your written request. The airline will review the canceled ticket before processing the refund for the canceled flight.