There could be many reasons why you may want to cancel your WestJet flight such as extreme workload, sudden health illness, or someone’s death. Not only you but the airline may also cancel the flight due to some technical issues in the aircraft.
But the questions that arise are how to claim a refund after a flight cancellation, if the airline will compensate for the canceled flight or not, what would be cancellation charges, etc. Well, in this article, all your doubts will be cleared. Here you will get all the details about WestJet flight cancellation and refund policies.
Brief Overview About WestJet Cancellation Fees
WestJet has a few different cancellation policies, depending on the type of fare you purchased.
- Basic fares have the strictest cancellation policy. You can cancel your flight for free within 24 hours of booking, but after that, you'll be charged a cancellation fee of approx $150 per person.
- Standard fares have a more lenient cancellation policy. You can cancel your flight for free up to 24 hours before departure, but after that, you'll be charged a cancellation fee of around $250 per person.
- Flex fares have the most lenient cancellation policy. You can cancel your flight for free at any time, up to the day of departure.
If you need to cancel your flight, you can do so online, by phone, or at the airport. If you cancel online, you'll be able to choose to receive a refund to your original form of payment or travel credit. If you cancel by phone or at the airport, you'll only be able to receive a travel credit.
Note: For all the fares except the Basic fare, flyers have the right to cancel the flight 2 hours before the scheduled flight's departure. However, if the flyer fails to cancel the flight, the airline considers them a no-show.
Elaboration of 24 Hours WestJet Cancellation Policy
WestJet offers a 24-hour cancellation policy for all flights booked with cash or points. This means that you can cancel your flight for free within 24 hours of booking, as long as the flight is not scheduled to depart within 24 hours of the time of booking.
To cancel your flight, you can do so online, by phone, or in person at a WestJet check-in counter. If you cancel your flight online, you will be issued a travel bank credit for the full amount of your flight. You can use this credit to book a future flight on WestJet, or you can apply it towards the cost of another travel product, such as a hotel or car rental.
If you cancel your flight by phone or in person, you will be issued a refund to the original form of payment.
What Are The Steps to Cancel a Flight Within 24-Hours?
For a hassle-free online flight cancellation within 24 hours of booking, you can take the below-given points under consideration;
- Go to the WestJet website and sign in to your account.
- Click on "Manage My Trips".
- Select the flight that you want to cancel.
- Click on "Cancel Flight".
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the cancellation.
What is Cancellation After 24 Hours of Booking?
If you have a basic fare then you will not get any refund or future travel credit for the cancellations after 24 hours of booking. Not just that, but you will have to pay a cancellation charge and any fare difference (if applied) as well. The charges will be applicable per direction.
Note: There are some exceptions for flights to and from Europe, where cancellation fees are applied per person.
What If I Cancel My Flight Upto 24 Hours After The Booking?
If you are planning to cancel your flight up to 24 hours after the booking, then you may check the below-given points carefully.
- EconoFlex Fares- If you have purchased an EconoFlex fare, then you can cancel your flight without any charges. The airline will provide the refund in the form of future travel credits.
- PremiumFlex and BusinessFlex Fares- There will be no cancellation charges if you cancel your Premium Flex or Business Flex class ticket. Adding to it, the airline will refund the money into the source account or original mode of payment.
Overview of WestJet Vacation Cancellation Fees
WestJet flight cancellations policy permits flyers to cancel the vacation booking within 24 hours of purchasing the ticket with the airline without any charges. If you have paid for a package with WestJet, including deposit and refundable fees such as seat selection, then the whole amount will be credited to your original form of payment.
Below are some points you can refer to if you have decided to cancel the vacation package with WestJet Airlines.
- All vacation cancellations will be accepted 25 days before the scheduled flight's departure. The airline will charge $250 CAD as WestJet cancellations per guest.
- Vacation bookings with round-trip premium fares aren’t entitled to any cancellation charge.
- Other charges, like cancellation charges from hotels, will also be included. The airline will refund the remaining amount of the booking price in the source account.
- Cancellations made 21-24 days prior to the departure will result in a 50% forfeit of the amount paid. Similarly, cancellations made less than 21 days prior to the scheduled flight departure day will result in a 100% forfeit of the paid amount.
Cancellations 25 days or more before departure
Cancellations made 21-24 days before departure
Cancellations less than 21 days before departure
250 CAD per guest
50% of the package price forfeited
50% of the package price forfeited
Note: You get a full refund on Domestic Pet Relocation Cancellation. But remember that the booking must be canceled within 48 hours of the transfer time.
What is the WestJet Airlines Refunds Policy?
WestJet Airlines provides refunds for canceled flights only if the flyer meets specific guidelines mentioned in its refund policy.
- To receive a full refund, travelers must cancel Westjet flight within 24 hours of booking.
- If passengers change their flying plans after 24 hours have passed since booking, the airline may impose a cancellation fee.
- The refund also depends on the fare type purchased by the flyer. For example, with refundable fares, flyers can cancel flights on WestJet even 2 hours before the departure. But a non-refundable fare flyer must follow the 24-hour cancellation policy for claiming a refund.
- Refunds are returned to the original account, but the airline reserves the right to deduct any further charges from the refund.
- The refund option is unavailable for passengers who purchase the basic fare.
- WestJet Airlines offers one insurance plan to customers to protect the value of their refunds.
How Can I Get a Full Refund From WestJet Airlines?
Before initiating the refund request for WestJet canceled flight, you must ensure to check the terms and conditions mentioned on your fare first. If you are eligible for a refund, then follow the below-given steps to process a refund request with WestJet Airlines;
- Visit the official website of WestJet Airlines.
- Search for the refund form.
- Fill in all the flight details.
- Once the details are filled in, click on the submit button.
- Then the airline will do their work and you will get your requested refund within a few working days.