When it comes to air travel, American Airlines is a major player. This airline has its headquarters in the USA. As human beings, we have a lot of materialistic needs in our daily life, and while traveling our needs get doubled, which means lots of bags.
To help you out with hustle-free departure, here we have come up with the American Airlines baggage fees policy. In this article, you’ll get to know about baggage fees, size and weight restrictions, and other details.
General Guidance for American Airlines Baggage Policy
Below are the details for it:
|Carry-on baggage||1 personal and 1 carry-on item Free|
|Checked baggage||Fees Applicable per bag|
|Overweight and Oversize bags||Fees are Applicable per bag but depend on weight and size|
|Sports equipment||Certain items have applicable fees|
What are the American Airlines baggage fees?
Below given are the fees for the standard checked baggage.
- The fee for bag 1 is $30 for flights to Mexico, Haiti, the Caribbean, Central America, Guyana, and Suriname. In addition, it is $45 for Panama / South America, $0 / $75 for transatlantic, and $0 for transpacific.
- Domestic, Mexico, Caribbean, and $40 for Guyana and Suriname for bag 2. $65 for Haiti, Central America, and Panama / South America. $0 / $75 for Transatlantic and $0 for Transpacific.
- If you are carrying Bag 3 then it is $150 for Domestic. Also $200 for Mexico, Haiti, the Caribbean, and Central America.
- It's up to $200 for all space if you're carrying Bag 4+.
- All bag fees are non-refundable and apply per person.
American Airlines Checked Baggage Policy
- If you are carrying a bag when traveling on American Airlines, fees on all bags are non-refundable. You can find more information about bag fees by contacting a US representative. Along with this, you can also put in an American Airlines refund request within 45 days, this is possible only if you feel that this fare has been taken wrongly.
- If your trip is Transatlantic, Transpacific, or Domestic then you can carry 10 bags.
- Also, the facility of carrying 5 bags is for Mexico / Caribbean / Central, America, South America, and Brazil.
Weight and Size Restrictions
- The dimensions of your bag must be 62 inches / 158 cm with a valid weight of up to 50 lbs / 23 kgs.
- Weight is 70 pounds / 32 kg for your First / Business and 50 pounds / 23 kg for the Additional Charge bag.
- Dimensions 62 inches / 158 cm, weight up to 70 lbs / 32 kg, and up to 50 lbs / 23 kg for additional charge bags for passengers flying to/from Australia or New Zealand.
American Airlines Cary-On Baggage
- Customers flying Basic Economy for American Airlines are allowed 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item.
- For carry-on baggage, luggage must fit under the seat in front, which is always the appropriate size.
- Also important for carry-on is that it's not counting jackets, umbrellas, diaper bags, duty-free items, and accessories.
Size and weight restrictions
- Under Cary-On Baggage, you can carry 2 bags for Standard, US Domestic, Transatlantic, and Transpacific.
- This is only valid for the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, and South America if you're carrying up to 10 bags.
- Your bag will be allowed a maximum dimension of 62 inches or 157 centimeters (length + width + height) and a maximum weight of 50 pounds or 23 kilograms for the economy and 70 pounds or 32 kilograms for first/business.
Overweight baggage Conditions
- American Airlines charges some fees for overweight baggage (50 pounds or 23 kilograms) which are described below.
- If you are carrying more than 51 to 70 pounds or 24 to 32 kg of baggage with this airline, there will be a $100.00 USD per bag fee.
- For 71 to 100 pound or 33 to 46 kg bags, this charge will be an additional $200.00 USD per bag but is not acceptable to Cuba or the transatlantic. An additional $450.00 USD may be charged if you are carrying 71 to 100 pounds of transpacific.
- No carry-on bags that exceed 100 pounds or 46 kilograms are allowed.
oversize baggage Conditions
- If you carry some luggage that is oversize (between 62-125 inches or 158-320 centimeters) then this airline will charge some fees which are as follows.
- $200.00 for an oversize bag would be considered for US domestic, Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, and transpacific flights. Under this, this condition is not valid for Panama.
- $150.00 USD for an oversize bag for Panama, South America, and transatlantic flights.
- In addition, bags that exceed 125 inches or 320 centimeters are not accepted for travel to cities in Bolivia, Paraguay, and Brazil. That's why you have to take care of all these things.
How to Pay for American Airlines Baggage Fees
American Airlines allows its passengers to pay online as well as offline;
Passengers can pay for their checked bags online within 24 hours of departure on domestic flights within and between the United States., including Alaska and Hawaii, and selected markets in Central America, and the Caribbean. Payment can be done by using a credit card/ debit card or any other payment mode referred by the Airline.
At the Airport:
Passengers can pay for checked baggage at the airport fee counter with a debit card, credit card, or another form of payment. Employees of American Airlines may interview you before printing out a baggage tag to put on your suitcase in order to guarantee the security of your bag. After that, you can go to American airlines and check in with your bags.
There are many things that come under the prohibited items of American Airlines' baggage policy.
- Alcoholic beverages over 70 percent are not allowed
- Explosives can be very dangerous. For the safety of passengers and other staff, explosives are not allowed
- Animal products cannot be taken by the passenger
- Defense Sprays are prohibited
- Batteries for any gadgets are restricted
- Drones may capture some confidential images. Hence, they are not allowed
- Sharp items for instance knives, cutters, etc, can become life-threatening so these are prohibited as per the American Airlines baggage policy.