Ready to fly with Turkish Airlines? What about the baggage policy? You need to keep several things in mind while packing your bags. However, the baggage policy differs as per the fare rules. But there are certain guidelines that we have short-listed for you to know about the baggage policy.
Turkish Airlines Baggage policy for carry-on baggage
With Turkish baggage policy, passengers can easily carry on carry-on baggage for free. There are some guidelines released by the airline for carry-on baggage:
- For the passengers of economy class 1, carry-on baggage is allowed. The maximum weight of the bag should be 8kg, and the dimension must be 55x40x23 cm.
- Similarly, 2 carry-on bags are allowed for business class passengers with the same weight and size.
- Passengers can also carry one personal item weighing 4kg. You can include your any pet as a personal item But it also has many rules and restrictions, so you will have to read about Turkish pet policy.
- For all domestic and international flights, economy and business class cabin baggage allowance for, in fact, passengers are 1 piece having a weight of 8kg or less than that.
Note: Some airports don’t allow transit passengers to carry any liquid with them. So, it is advisable that you must check the guidelines.
Turkish Airlines Baggage policy for Checked-baggage
- The policy for checked baggage varies from fare to fare. For example, the allowance can vary from economy class to business class.
- The most significant carrier rule will apply to all interline flights.
- To complete the check-in process of the checked baggage, passengers can visit the Turkish check in counter.
- If the weight and size of the checked baggage increase, then the estimated guidelines. Then the baggage will be carried in the aircraft hold as part of the checked baggage allowance.
Free Checked baggage for domestic flights
The free checked baggage allowance on Turkish Airlines domestic flights is made according to the passenger's weight, regardless of the number of pieces. So if you adhere to the weight restriction, you can carry free checked baggage.
For Economy class
- Passengers traveling in EcoFly can carry up to 15 kg for free.
- Those traveling with ExtraFly can have the baggage of weight 20kg.
- For Prime Fly, the weight limit is up to 25kg.
- For the PrimeFly passenger, the weight limit is up to 25kg.
For business class, the free baggage allowance is only valid if passengers carry baggage of 30kg.
Free checked baggage for International flights
Check out the policy for free checked baggage on international flights. The allowance is set either by the piece policy or the weight policy:
- For economy class, 2 pieces of baggage are allowed with a maximum weight of 23kg. The size of the baggage should be within 158 cm.
- For business class, 2 pieces of checked baggage are allowed of 32kg. The size remains the same, 158 cm.
Piece Zone – The piece zone includes areas like North & South America, Japan, Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar, and part of Africa (Abidjan, Abuja, Accra, Asmara, Bamako, Banjul, Conakry, Cotonou, Dakar, Douala, Freetown, Khartoum, Kano, Kinshasa, Lagos).
The weight policy applies to the below-mentioned zone as well:
Zone 1: Zone 1 includes the areas like Athens, Batumi, Bucharest, Constanta, Ganja, Kishinev, Nakhichevan, Odessa, and Pristina.
Zone 2: The Zone 2 areas include Alexandria, Almaty, Amman, Aqaba, Ashgabat, Astrakhan, Bari, Beirut, Belgrade, Bishkek,
Zone 3: Algiers, Amsterdam, Baghdad, Baku, Basel, Basra, Berlin, Benghazi, Bremen, Brussels, Cologne, Constantine, Dusseldorf, Erbil, Frankfurt, Friedrichshafen are known to be the areas under Zone 3.
Zone 4: While talking about the Zone 4 area the list has Aalborg, Abu Dhabi, Aden, Al-Qassim, Bahrain, Barcelona, Bilbao, Billund, Birmingham, Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Dammam, Doha, Dubai, Dublin, Edinburgh, Gothenburg.
Zone 5: Last but not least, the areas in Zone 5 include Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Bali-Denpasar, Beijing, Cape Town, Casablanca, Colombo, Delhi, Djibouti, Dhaka, Dar es Salaam, Durban, Entebbe, Guangzhou.
Turkish Airlines baggage policy for Excess baggage
The guidelines for passengers carrying excess baggage are as follows:
- Turkish Airlines offers discounted baggage fees for soldiers of the Turkish Peace Force serving in TRNC and students traveling to TRNC. The fee is TRY 20 per 1 kg of extra baggage.
- These discounts are only available when purchasing tickets from the Sales Offices and are not applicable to Anadolu Jet flights.
- The fees may vary for domestic direct and connecting flights.
- On Turkish Airlines domestic flights, the extra baggage fee is 12 TL/kg for direct flights and 18 TL/kg for connecting flights.
- For international flights where the Weight Policy applies, the excess baggage fee is determined based on the departure and arrival zones.
Check the fees of flights in various zones and between Turkey
- Zone 1- The charges for Zone 1 are 4 EUR.
- Zone 2- For the flights in zone 2 charge is 6 EUR.
- Zone 3- 8 EUR is the fee for the flights operating in zone 3.
- Zone 4- For Zone 4 the charges are 11 EUR.
- Zone 5- 16 EUR is charged by Turkish Airlines for flights in zone 5.
Excess Baggage fees for International flights
- The excess baggage fees for all international flights the Piece policy applies, Turkish airline charges a baggage fee of 180 USD. This charge will be applied for a piece of baggage weighing 23-32kg.
- Adding to it an additional charge will be charged for an additional piece of luggage.
|Location||1st & 2nd Additional Pieces||3rd+ Additional Piece|
Sometimes passengers need to carry or transfer their special equipment or baggage like sporting and musical equipment. Turkish airline has special criteria for these kinds of baggage and the charges also vary according to their size and weight.
The list for the sporting equipment is shared below that is subject to mandatory reservation and is accepted as checked baggage. Moreover, this baggage will only be accepted if the passenger pays for them:
Charges for Equipment on domestic flights
- For equipment like golf, ski, and snowboard equipment Turkish Airlines will charge 39 TRY.
- Similarly, things like Archery, bicycling, Bowling, Canoe, Diving, Fishing, Hockey, Inflatable boat, Lacrosse, Parachuting, Paragliding, Rafting, and Surfboard will be charged 59 TRY.
Charges for Equipmenys on International flights
Europe, the Middle East,
Africa & Asia**
All Other Destinations
Golf, ski, snowboard, water ski – 1 set
Golf, ski, snowboard, water ski – additional set
The special fee doesn’t apply to equipment not mentioned above, and this equipment is considered checked baggage.
Restricted Items on Turkish Airlines
There is a list of certain items that Turkish Airlines doesn’t allow passengers to carry with them:
- Lost and Delay Sprays that are being used at home or during any kind of sport. The sprays are not flammable or toxic and do not cause any adverse side effects.
- Toy-shaped guns or gun lighters can’t be carried in the Turkish Airlines carry on or checked baggage.
- Wheelchairs and moment aid with nonleaking batteries can’t be carried as checked baggage.
- The airline doesn’t allow passengers to carry medical or clinical thermometers along with them.
- Fuel cell engines and internal combustion are restricted by Turkish Airlines.
- Items like pepper spray can’t be carried along the way to board the flight.
Lost and Delayed Baggage
Turkish Airlines focuses on customer satisfaction and because of that the airline will ensure the safety of your luggage as well. However if in any case, you lost your luggage or your luggage is delayed. Then you can either contact the lost and found department or the baggage department of Turkis Airlines.