Consider flying with a flight enriched with tons of amenities and remarkable services, then Southwest Airlines would be the perfect choice. Getting your hands on a cheap and affordable flight price is a miracle in its way, but the path is filled with patience and dedication.
Cheap deals do not rain down so often, and when it does, you must be present at the right place to grab them. There are millions of passengers flying every day, but only a few hundred of them have the patience to wait for the right time and opportunity to book at the lowest price available.
So here you will get to walk through the best time to book flights on Southwest with the process and steps involved. Along with the time at which you can opt to book your flight tickets so as to get the best deals possible. So, without wasting any time, let’s delve deep into the blog and learn the tricks to grab the best deals on Southwest Airlines flights.
Understanding Southwest Airline’s Booking System
There are many ways to book a Southwest flight, some prefer to book it from an agent, or travel agency, while others prefer to get it from the official website, customer care number, and the SWA app. No matter where you book it from, you can enjoy the same benefits and perks.
Southwest Airlines has a unique booking system that sets it apart from other airlines. And this system is highly appreciated by many of its users. Here are some key points to understand-
- No Assigned Seats: Southwest Airlines operates on an open seating policy, allowing passengers to choose their seats upon boarding based on a first-come, first-served basis. No matter which class you are booking into, you will get to choose your seat upon arrival. The only thing that can add better value is to get a higher class ticket or get priority boarding to have more options of seats to choose from.
- Fare Classes: Southwest Airlines offers three fare classes - Wanna Get Away, Anytime, and Business Select. Each fare class comes with its own perks and pricing structure, catering to different travel needs and budgets. There are no different cabins for different fare types here in Southwest planes, these are just for extra amenities, better comfort, and priorities over other passengers in different travel classes.
Factors Influencing Flight Prices
Southwest Airlines makes sure that users constantly book their flights, and just to maintain that it often drops the prices of the tickets. Users looking for flight tickets at much cheaper rates, if lucky, can grab the best deal of the month or even of the year.
The bookings and fare prices are totally dependent on the high-flying and low-flying seasons. During the months of holidays, the prices usually go up as it is a high-flying season and the airports see the most number of flyers. In fact, during the peak season, it gets hard to even book a ticket at any price.
While in low-flying seasons, the prices drop significantly, and only a few passengers are seen flying during this time. So to maintain competitiveness with other low-cost airlines Southwest alters its fare price every few days.
Basically, there are three factors that affect the pricing of the fares in Southwest Airlines-
- Demand- Flight prices tend to increase during peak travel periods when there is high demand for tickets. Planning your trip during off-peak seasons can help you secure better deals.
- Seasonality- Prices can fluctuate based on the time of year and destination. Popular travel periods, such as holidays or school breaks, often come with higher fares.
- Availability- The number of available seats on a flight can affect pricing. Booking early or being flexible with your travel dates can increase the chances of securing lower fares.
Time-Based Booking Strategies
Sometimes all that matters in your booking is timing. And busting a myth that the earlier you book the better deals you get. Reality: sometimes a last-minute deal can be better than an early booking deal. The truth is that there is no fixed way to instantly get cheap flight tickets, you will have to read the pattern and predict the perfect time to book it.
Booking in Advance
Advanced booking of any ticket can get you the advantage of getting a head start even if you have to cancel your tickets. Here are some other advantages of booking Southwest air tickets in advance-
- Increased Availability- By booking early, you have a higher chance of securing the flights and seats you desire, especially during peak travel periods.
- Better Pricing- Airlines often offer lower fares for flights booked in advance, allowing you to take advantage of early bird discounts.
Sometimes last-minute booking can also get you fabulous deals as some unsold tickets can be sold at really low prices. Here are the advantages of booking last-minute flights with Southwest-
- Spontaneous Trips- If you have the flexibility to travel without a fixed itinerary or specific destination, last-minute deals can be an exciting and affordable option.
- Unsold Inventory- Airlines may offer discounted prices for unsold seats close to the departure date. However, availability is not guaranteed, so it's important to be flexible and open to different travel options.
Off-peak Season Travel
The best time to book flights Southwest and not only that but also for getting less number of visitors to any destination you love is the off-peak season. The advantages of booking tickets during the off-peak season are mentioned below-
- Lower Fares- Airlines often offer competitive pricing during off-peak seasons when there is less demand for travel.
- Less Crowded- By avoiding peak travel periods, you can enjoy less crowded airports and flights, making your journey more comfortable.
Tools and Techniques for Finding the Best Deals
There are various methods utilized by many passengers to land on a perfect flight deal. We will list down some of them for you to make sure you have no trouble finding the perfect deal.
Fare Comparison Websites
There are certain websites that you can use to compare flight prices offered by hundreds of travel agencies and websites. These websites will give you an idea of what is the lowest cost available and what is the highest one. You might not book from these websites but having a knowledge of compared fares will be an added advantage in your hunt for the cheapest flights-
- Google Flights
These websites allow you to compare prices, explore flexible date options, and set price alerts to receive notifications when fares drop. So you will not miss any price drop on any website.
Airline Promotions and Newsletters
Staying updated on Southwest Airline’s promotions and subscribing to their newsletters can provide exclusive access to discounts and special offers. The benefit of doing this includes-
- Early Notifications: Receive timely updates on fare sales, limited-time promotions, and discounted flights directly to your inbox. Just register yourself at the official website using your Gmail and then let the airlines do your work.
- Exclusive Deals: Gain access to exclusive discounts and offers available only to newsletter subscribers. These deals will not be very frequent but f you are flexible, with your dates, you might be able to surely grab them.
Booking Via the Rapid Rewards Program
Unlock a world of benefits and seamless booking experiences with the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards program. As a member, you gain exclusive advantages that go beyond just earning points. With the program, you'll enjoy priority boarding, allowing you to secure your preferred seats and settle in comfortably. Additionally, you'll relish the convenience of free checked bags, saving you both time and money. What's more, the Rapid Rewards program grants you access to special promotions and discounted fares, ensuring you snag the best deals while planning your travels. Don't miss out on the perks and privileges – join the Rapid Rewards program today and elevate your Southwest Airlines booking experience.
Best Cities to Fly from via Southwest Airlines
Some of the cities in the USA have more advantages and lower fares for Southwest Airlines than others. This has nothing to do with the best time to book a Southwest flight but the fares can really be lower compared to other cities.
We are talking about the hubs of Southwest Airlines, where there is the highest traffic for the airlines in and out. So even if you miss your flight or have to cancel it for a later time, you will have plenty of options to re-book your itinerary without any trouble. Some of the cities that offer lower fares and a hub for Southwest are-
- Chicago (Midway)
- Los Angeles
When Not to Buy Southwest Tickets?
Up till now, you have learned about when to book Southwest Airlines flight tickets, and now you will learn when not to book Southwest flight tickets. So without any surprise, the month of July is the worst month to book your flights.
During summer most of the travelers travel to various different locations and it is real chaos if you are stuck among them. Apart from the month of November and July every other month has a track record of better deals for Southwest flight tickets.
So, the best time to book Southwest Airlines flights can be complicated and you will have to learn every aspect mentioned above to understand the mechanics behind it. Southwest is known for its leniency and amazing policies, so flying through it is a wonderful experience. Although the fares are mid-range, using the tricks above, you can get them to low-range prices.
So, knowing all this, you must be excited to book your cheap flight with Southwest and get to your desired destination fast. Make sure to encourage others to travel along and share this vital information with them. This will help us bring more vital and crucial insights about your favorite airlines in the future.