More and more women in today’s world are opting to travel alone. They wish to explore the places on their own terms. In case you are a woman and planning to go on a trip. Then, solo travel can be the best experience you ever gain in your life. Let me tell you the top 10 destinations for solo female travelers in this blog.
Traveling alone gives you freedom and independence. You can go anywhere you want and make your own decisions without compromising with anyone else. Solo travel is a liberating and empowering experience. You discover your strengths and capabilities. And also learn to trust your instincts fully.
By going on a solo trip, you step out of your comfort zone and confront your fears. You also develop new skills and perspectives. You can change your plans and itinerary as it fits you without anyone’s consultation. You allow yourself to be more spontaneous and open to new experiences by traveling solo.
Solo travel can be a great way to meet new people from different cultures and backgrounds. You can form deep and meaningful connections with locals and other travelers.
Solo Female Traveling Tips
If you are considering going on a solo female trip. Here are some tips that you can follow for a blissful journey.
- Before you travel, research your destination and learn about the local customs, laws, and safety concerns. You can also look at some travel blogs on solo female travel and get great advice.
- If you feel something is off and unsafe. Then, remove yourself from the situation. Be confident to say no to people if you are uncomfortable.
- Stay connected with your family and friends back home. Keep them updated about your travel plans. You can buy an international roaming pack for your phone number. Also, consider getting a portable Wifi.
- Keep your passport and important documents with you every time. You can also buy travel insurance and learn how to take medical care if necessary.
- Meet other solo female travelers by staying in hostels. Join a group tour and share your travel tricks and experiences with new people.
With proper preparation and a sense of adventure, you can roam around any place however you want.
Top Places To Explore For Solo Female Travelers
Pack your bags as I’m going to tell you about the top 10 destinations for solo female travelers.
The capital city of Japan. It is on the central coast of Hanshu which is Japan’s biggest island. Tokyo is a bustling and vibrant city. You will see a unique blend of traditional Japanese and modern urban living here.
The skyline of Tokyo is dominated by high-rising buildings and neon lights. This city is not just modern. Tokyo is deeply rooted in antiquity and traditions.
The food scene here is terrific. You can sample mouthwatering cuisines from Michelin-star restaurants or local food vendors.
Some popular attractions to visit in Tokyo are
- Sensoji temple is the oldest temple in the Asakusa district of Tokyo. This temple is famous for its large red lantern and extraordinary architecture.
- The Tokyo National Museum and Mori Art Museum display many arts and artifacts. You can see the works from Japan and all around the globe.
- Buy some famous fashion and streetwear in the Harajuku and Shibuya districts. You will see a lineup of trendy boutiques for shopping here.
- Yoyogi Park is Tokyo’s largest park. Plan a day trip and go on some outdoor adventures on your journey to this dynamic city.
A dazzling island in Indonesia. Bali has alluring beaches, lush tropical forests, ancient temples, etc. It can be your best solo travel destination. This island is part of the Lesser Sunda island chain.
Bali houses some of the perfect beaches on Earth. You will be mesmerized by soft sand, turquoise waters, and brilliant coastal scenery. If you are looking for this kind of fun on a solo female traveler's journey. Then, head to Kuta, Seminyak, Jimbaran or Sunar beach.
This island also has many lovely temples to explore. There are thousands of Hindu Temples in Bali as it is a Hindu-majority province in Indonesia. The temples are centuries old and steeped in history and tradition. Some popular temples are
- Tanah Lot
- Tirta Empul
The people of Bali are very warm and welcoming. And it is also famous for coffee. You can see many coffee plantations around and go on a tasting tour.
Bali has a quite relaxing and laid-back vibe. You can surely calm down, unwind, and rejuvenate yourself on this island. Also, experience a truly unforgettable and tranquil solo female travel.
The oldest city in South Africa. It was named the best place to visit in the world by the New York Times in 2014. So, why not put it in your list of destinations you want to see across the entire globe.
The Table Mountain in Cape Town forms a dramatic backdrop to the city skyline. This city houses numerous beaches where you can have fun and relax. The diverse population of Cape Town will also entice you. You can meet people of African, Asian, and European influences.
The Atlantic harbor of Cape Town is filled with amazing shopping and entertainment complexes. The distinct culture of this city definitely has an impact on its cuisine. You can enjoy traditional South African dishes or international food from all around the globe all at once.
A few of the best sites to explore in Cape Town are
- Victoria and Alfred Waterfront is a bustling place that has many shops, restaurants, and attractions to visit. Go to the Two Oceans Aquarium and see the diverse marine life found in the waters of Cape Town.
- Have a great swimming and surfing day by heading to Camps Bay or Boulders Beach. Enjoy a sunbath at Clifton Beach which is quite popular for its turquoise waters and white sand.
- Don’t forget to indulge in some wine tasting and sightseeing at the Constantia Valley. The streets here are lined with oak trees and have some fascinating mansions too.
- Spark up your inner geek by exploring the oldest building in South Africa - the Castle of Good Hope. You can also plan a tour of the District Six Museum to understand the antiquity of Cape Town.
A cosmopolitan city in the northeastern region of Spain. It is the capital of Catalonia. The brilliant architecture, rich art, and history make it a top-notch place. The ruins of tombs and dwellings found here date from around 5000 BC before.
The world-famous football team, FC Barcelona is also from here. You can discover many unexpected charms around the city by just roaming around.
If you are looking for a truly unforgettable solo female travel experience. Then, surely add this bombastic city to your solo female travel destinations bucket list.
Want to know about some best marvels to visit in Barcelona? Here is the list
- The Sagrada Familia is a Roman Catholic basilica and is famous for its sculpted details and stained glass. It was designed by the renowned architect Antoni Gaudi. Appreciate the work of almost 140 years in making this quirky building.
- Delve into a lovely public space called Park Guell. You can see colorful mosaics, picturesque winding streets, and the incredible horizons of Barcelona.
- As an art lover, definitely go to the Picasso Museum. This place showcases the early works of Pablo Picasso and his connection to the city.
- Walk around the oldest and liveliest part of Barcelona - the Gothic Quarter. Unearth the hidden squares, charming cafes, and traditional shops at this place. Also, visit the Roman Walls, the Barcelona Cathedral, and the Place Del Rei in the Gothic Quarter.
The capital city of Malaysia and also the most vibrant. This place is a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities. And a great choice among the best places around the world.
Kuala Lumpur is famous for its modern skyline, lip-smacking food, and lush history. If you love partying, then you can experience some of the best nightlife scenes here.
In 1998, the Petronas Twin Towers of Kuala Lumpur were the tallest buildings in the world. This multicultural city offers a unique fusion of present-day and classic experiences.
Kuala Lumpur is also a great base in case you want to explore the rest of Malaysia. It is a gateway to the tropical rainforests of Borneo and the dazzling beaches of the East Coast.
Within a short drive, you can reach the Genting Highlands. It is a popular hill resort with casinos, theme parks, and other attractions.
Some popular places to visit in Kuala Lumpur are
- The Batu Caves are a series of limestone caves and temples just outside the city. Climb the steps to the entrance of the main cave and see a giant statue of Lord Murugan.
- Take in the history of Sri Mahamariamman Temple. It was built in the nineteenth century and is the oldest Hindu Temple in Kuala Lumpur.
- Plan a day trip to the Sultan Abdul Samad Building and the Kuala Lumpur Railway Station to learn about the city’s colonial past.
- If you want to do some traditional shopping. Then, visit the multicolored street markets of Chinatown and Little India.
A resort town in Otago, New Zealand. Queenstown is surrounded by startling mountains, transparent lakes, and pristine wilderness.
This place is famously known as the adventure capital of the world. You can do bungee jumping, hiking, skydiving, snowboarding, etc. in Queenstown.
Have an enriching and quality experience by indulging in some world-class wines and cuisine. There are several wineries and gourmet restaurants in the countryside.
You can also take a day tour to nearby destinations like Milford Sound and the glaciers of the West. And increase your list of solo female travel best places.
Notice a few great attractions in Queenstown.
- Go on a thrilling jet boat ride at Shotover Jet. And stream through the narrow canyons of the Shotover River at high speeds.
- The town itself is a popular place. Explore the town’s rich history by visiting the Queenstown Arts Center and the Queenstown Gardens.
- Wander the waterfront of Queenstown and soak up the views of the lake and the Remarkables Range.
- Analyze New Zealand’s unique nature at Kiwi Wildlife Park. The place has 20 different native species of birds and reptiles.
The largest city in Iceland. It is on the country’s southwestern coast. Reykjavik is a chromatic city. And is famous for its unique architecture, lush cultural scene, and proximity to amazing natural wonders.
The city is well-known for its energetic nightlife scene. The bars, clubs, and music venues will cater to your every taste.
The mesmerization of Reykjavik will ignite your spirit and wake up your senses. You will also feel the deep roots of Viking history entangled with the contemporary energy of modern creativity.
You will find loads of things to enjoy in this fascinating Icelandic capital. Some of them are:
- Hallgrimskirkja is a towering church that dominates the horizons of Reykjavik. Go on an elevator ride to the top of the church and take in the panoramic views of the city.
- Spend an evening at the Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Center. It is acclaimed for its striking glass facade and houses the National Museum of Iceland and the Reykjavik Art Museum.
- Take a whale-watching tour and encounter humpback and inkle whales. You can even see dolphins in some parts of the ocean.
- Go on a shopping spree in Laugavegur. Find shops in lines selling Icelandic wool sweaters, handmade ceramics, and other artisanal products.
A sparkling and momentous city in Morocco. Marrakech is nicknamed the ‘Red City’ or the ‘Ochre City’ because of the red warm hue of its sandstone buildings.
This city is a fairyland that will encapsulate you with colorful sights, sounds and smells as soon as you reach here. Marrakech is one of the perfect solo female travel destinations.
Marrakech is surrounded by lemon, orange, and olive groves. The culinary characteristics of this city are rich and heavily spiced. Nourish yourself with the kind of food you have never tasted before.
A few great places to visit in this enchanting city are
- The Koutoubia Mosque is the most exquisite mosque in all of Morocco. It was built around the 12th century and has served as a model for many notable religious sites. For example, the Hassan Tower in Rabat and La Giralda in Seville.
- Traverse the Bahia Palace which is a 19th-century building and was once home to the grand vizier of Marrakech. This palace exemplifies the lavish lifestyle of the Moroccan elite.
- The Jemma El-Fna square is the heart of Marrakech’s bustling medina. This open-air place is a hub of activity. You can see vendors selling everything from herbs and spices to handmade pottery and jewelry. Also, know about your future from some fortune teller at the square.
- Visit the fantastic Yves Saint Laurent Museum. It shows and celebrates the couture legacy of the famous fashion designer.
The most populous city in the United Arab Emirates. Dubai is famous for its lively nightlife, lavish way of living and some world’s tallest buildings. This city is surely your playground and you can enjoy this city to the fullest.
Dubai is also famed for its luxurious resorts and hotels. Many of them are on the prominent Palm Jumeirah. Enjoy white sand beaches, world-class spas, and a range of activities and amenities.
Take out your party animal in the peppy social clubs of Dubai. You can relish everything from the rooftop bars with ravishing views to beach clubs and live music venues.
Interested in shopping, dining, or adventure? You are sure to find something to enjoy in this dynamic UAE city.
Grasp about some great sites to explore in Dubai.
- Take a glimpse of where this monumental city was and where it is going at the Dubai Museum. It is housed in a restored 18th-century fort near Bastakiya Quarter.
- Head out to the UAE’s desert-scapes of rolling dunes. Take a desert safari, ride camels, or go sandboarding. Around the evening, enjoy a belly dancing show and sunset barbeque with a sheesha in the desert.
- Go to the traditional markets (souks) of Dubai like the Gold Souk and the Spice Souk. The Gold Souk specializes in glitz and glamor. Whereas the Spice Souk includes flavors from all around the globe. Haggle for some jewelry, textiles, spices, and other goods.
- If you are planning your solo trip to Dubai between October to April. Then, don’t miss a chance to visit the enchanting land of Global Village. Around 26 countries have their pavilions in this village. Experience each country’s culture, entertainment, and heritage.
A culturally rich city in Scotland. Edinburgh is a fascinating and breathtaking capital. You can experience a blend of antiquity and natural charms here.
This place is a great destination, especially if you are a foodie. The dynamic culinary scene celebrates Scottish cuisine with local ingredients.
The enchanting Scottish capital has festivals and brilliant events throughout the year. During August, the remarkable Edinburgh Festival Fringe takes place. Artists from every corner of the map come to perform at this festival.
Know a few perfect sites around Edinburgh.
- Edinburgh Castle is one of the most famous landmarks in the city. It sits atop a hill in the middle of the city. The castle has played a key role in the history of Scotland. By serving as a royal residence, a military stronghold, and even a prison.
- Amuse yourself by walking on the Royal Mile. It is a historic street running from Edinburgh Castle to the Palace of Holyroodhouse. And includes St. Giles Cathedral, the Scottish Parliament, etc.
- There are many museums and art galleries in Edinburgh to excite your love for history. Visit the National Museum of Scotland and the Scottish National Gallery.
- Get some peace and serenity by going to the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. There are around 13,500 exotic plants from around the world displayed in 10 glasshouses of this park.
Your saga of traveling is truly going to change by exploring these top 10 destinations for solo female travelers. I hope this comprehensive guide to different locations will make your life more thrilling and exciting.
Note: The best airlines with which you can fly from the US to these top places are
- Delta Airlines
- American Airlines
- LATAM Airways
- Air France